Friday, January 15, 2010

Smokey Purples

Here is my very first makeup tutorial! This is especially for Heather G., because...well...she's so fucking AWESOME! Sorry it took me so long!

And away we go...







Here, we have me, sans makeup. Note the lack of eyebrows, mmmkay? It was a horrible drive-by plucking, and now I'm scarred for life.









I usually use MAC's Mineralize Skinfinish Natural for foundation, but I'm out and too lazy to drive the two miles to the mall to get more. So. In the interim, I'm using Maybelline's Mineral Foundation, but I don't have a picture, because I moved the powder to a larger container.































So, to apply foundation, I use this brush, and lightly spritz it with MAC's Fix+ (the rose one is fabulous), or, I use Aquafina's spray.









Now, I look better, yes?


Now to draw on my brows. Yes, this is tedious. Though I've thought about getting them tattooed on, there's no way I could do this. With my luck, one day I'd get a facelift, and they'd wind up by my hairline, making me look permanently surprised.










So, here's what I use to draw em on. They rarely are a perfect match, and I'm still trying to perfect the rounded tails, so occasionally I do wind up with the square-ish looking ends. Booo.




















Now, to catch any eyeshadow fall out (I get alot. I'm a maniac with application), swipe some regular old baby powder under your eyes. And you look seksee like me! Funny face is mandatory, by the way.


















Now, to make the eyeshadow stick well, as well as make the colors pop, use Chapstick. I prefer the Naturals one, because it's got alot of butters in it and it goes on really soft and creamy. Apply it just on the lower lid like so, and blend/pat in gently with your finger.
























































Now, take MAC's Young Punk, from the Style Black collection, and using this brush, pat it on the lower lid, going slightly above where the Chapstick is. Note that because I have hooded eyelids, I have to raise my eyebrows to apply my eyeshadow. Again, Boooo.






























Now take this brush (Coastal Scents...costs like $3), and with soft strokes, blend the edge. I use both the windshield wiper and the little circles method. Blend it out really good.












































Now, take Urban Decay's Vapor, and apply it right above Young Punk, and go fairly high up towards your brow. Then, using the same Coastal Scents brush (I have two of them), blend Vapor slightly down into Young Punk.










































Now, take MAC's Milk (from the Hello Kitty line), and apply to the blended seam of Young Punk and Vapor, like so. Blend well, and slightly upwards.
































Now, take MAC's Viz-A-Violet, and apply to crease and slightly above. Blend lightly but thoroughly.




























Now take Urban Decay's S&M, and apply to crease, blending well.










































Next, take Everyday Minerals' Mystic Night (picture doesn't do it justice. It's a DEEP dark royal purple), and apply in a thin line in the crease.





























Before Blending, take Bare Minerals' Cat Woman, and apply to outer corner of crease. Now blend lightly. We want the outer crease to be darkest.



































Now, lightly brush off the fallout that is on Young Punk, and if desired pat on more Young Punk.















Now, take this brush (ELF studio line, $3), and apply MAC Shroom right under brows, blending into Vapor. Phloof! would also work well, if you want a light pink color.










































Take your ELF Eye Transformer Palette and apply the beige-y color right under the outer part of your eyebrow, and blend gently. I forgot to take a picture. Oops!




















Now, take ELF's Mineral Liner in Black, and apply to just the outer corner of lashline, and the waterline. Smudge the lash line with a Q-Tip.




































Take MAC's Man Catcher, and apply with the brush that came with the Eye Transformer palette, along your lower lash line.




























With the same brush, apply Mystic Night in just the outer corner of your lash line (where the black eye liner is), very lightly. Reapply liner to your waterline if needed.
















Now, to line the top lash line, I've just been using glitter liner. I have a shit load of liquid liners, but since I suck balls at winging my liner, I skip it and just do glitter. This is Lavender glitter liner from NYX.
































For Mascara, I use NYX Doll Eyes Volume Mascara. It's my Holy Grail, because my lashes are LONG, but thin/sparse. This plumps them up thick and makes them look great!

















Annnnnd, here is the finished product! I don't have time to post the blush details now, but I will add it after work tonight.

Hope you enjoyed! It was fun doing this, but a LOT of work. It's very hard to take pictures of yourself while you're doing something, lol. And as far as the brushes go, I mostly use the Coastal Scents brushes, and just wipe them on a towel between colors. They are my favorite brushes by FAR. I'd actually rather buy these than the MAC brushes. Which leaves me more money for makeup, so that's a WIN!

Sorry the layout of this post is so wonky, but I'm barely learning how to work this stuff. Hopefully I'll get better as I go along.

ETA: Ok, here's the blush tutorial. I sort of forgot that it wasn't on here already. Doh!



I take this brush, and MAC's Gold Spill MSF and apply it in the hollow of my cheek, so make that fishy-face we all love!

















































Blend/buff it in real good with this brush...




































Take this brush. It has many names, but I bought it as a 'fiber optic' blush brush, and SPARINGLY apply MAC Hello Kitty Blush in Tippy to the apples of your cheeks...






































Now, use this brush, and apply either MAC Blonde MSF, or as a knock off, this Revlon Color Stay powder (the pink swirly one) as a highlight. I will actually use both, cuz I like em! Swipe the Blonde over your mid cheekbone, and the Revlon powder along the top of your cheekbone.




















































And you have this finished result.

4 comments:

  1. Holy mother Mary. First question: how many shadows was that? I lost count. Second, how long does it take you to do your eyes (when you're not taking pictures along the way)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! You've used a ton of my favorites. I'm going to have to go check out the NYX mascara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiona I used 5 eyeshadows, lol. 6 if you count the smidge of Cat Woman I used on my outer crease. I've come a long way from being the girl that used one color - taupe- every.day. As for how long it takes me to get ready...well...on work days it takes me about 2 hours, but I think that's more because I'm SO OCD, that I constantly go over each eye, making sure it matches perfectly. Plus, I gotta pick out the colors I'm going to wear. I never wear the same color scheme two days in a row. I know, sad, lol.

    Ruth. Doll Eyes. TO.DIE.FOR. Yesterday I picked up some of that Lash Stilleto? Ugh, should be called Lash Ballet Flats. It sucks ass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy. Hell.

    That is all.

    Holy. Hell.

    Thanks ;) Someday, when I grow up, I wanna be like you.

    ReplyDelete